Federer loses to Bellucci in Brazilian debut
Federer lost to Bellucci for the first time in his career, falling 5-7, 6-3, 4-6 in an entertaining exhibition match.
Sao Paulo: World No.2 Roger Federer lost to Brazil's Thomaz Bellucci for the first time in his career, falling 5-7, 6-3, 4-6 in an entertaining exhibition match. World No.33 Bellucci delighted his home fans, who provided a carnival atmosphere by chanting and singing throughout the duel Thursday, Xinhua reports.
After taking a tense first set by holding serve in the 12th game, Bellucci conceded the second set and went a break down early in the third. But he responded by breaking back before holding serve in the 10th game to spoil Federer's hopes of winning his first match in Brazil.
"It's always great to play in front of a full house. It's a special feeling to play this guy (Federer) here. He is the best of all time and it was a pleasure to share the court with him," Bellucci said after the match.
Federer thanked fans for their support and praised the treatment he had received since arriving in Brazil.
"I am very happy to be here. It took me a while to finally come to Brazil," Federer said. "Everybody has been really good to me and I can't thank you all enough for showing your support."
Recommended For You
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Powers Manchester United to League Cup Glory
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- Oscars 2017: Why The Sudden Criticism For La La Land Is Disappointing
- Malayalam Actor Prithiviraj Writes Powerful Post Apologising for Misogyny in Films