Ferrer beats Granollers to reach QF
Sixth-seeded David Ferrer reached the French Open quarter-finals for the third time.
Paris: Sixth-seeded David Ferrer reached the French Open quarter-finals for the third time, beating No. 20 Marcel Granollers 6-3, 6-2, 6-0 on a rainy, windy Monday in the first all-Spanish matchup of this year's tournament.
There's been at least one Spain vs Spain encounter at Roland Garros every year since 1994.
Ferrer improved to 4-0 against Davis Cup teammate Granollers, who was making his fourth-round Grand Slam debut.
Ferrer erased two break points while serving out the first set, then opened the second by breaking Granollers with a forehand winner to end a 12-minute game. Ferrer also broke to start the third.
A two-time major semifinalist, Ferrer has yet to drop a set in the tournament. He will face No. 4 Andy Murray or No. 17 Richard Gasquet in the quarter-finals.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Ben Stokes Excited to Be Part of MS Dhoni's Team
- Two-Minute Silence For Ranveer's Appearance at Shahid's Party
- New Audi A4 30 TFSI Review: It is Powerful and Environment Friendly
- SRK's Circus Returns To TV, Twitterati Can't Contain Their Excitement
- Federer wants Nadal as Laver Cup doubles partner