Five more die in Bihar hooch tragedy, toll rises to 13
A large quantity of pouches containing spurious liquor were seized from unauthorised shops on Friday.
Ara: Five more persons have died after drinking spurious liquor taking the toll to 13 on Saturday in Anaith village and adjoining areas under Nawada police station area in Bihar's Bhojpur district, a police official said. "The toll in the hooch tragedy has risen to 13 in the past 24 hours and the casualties may go up as a search is being made in the village and adjoining localities to find other victims," Deputy Inspector General of Police, Shahabad range, Ajitabh Kumar said.
Those who died bought illicit liquor pouches from nearby Ara railway station two days ago, the DIG said. Eight FIRs have been registered and 13 people, including a man who sold the hooch, were arrested, Kumar said. A large quantity of pouches containing spurious liquor were seized from unauthorised shops, the DIG said.
On Friday, a team comprising the sub-divisional officer, sub-divisional police officer and assistant excise commissioner investigated the deaths. Meanwhile, charging the district administration with collusion with the liquor mafia, the CPI(M-L) Liberation took out a protest march in the town led by former party legislator Arun Kumar.
Recommended For You
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- Vijay Hazare Trophy: MS Dhoni Scores 43 But Jharkhand Loses to Karnataka
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology