Be a responsible citizen. Come, pledge to always check and share verified and vetted news.
2-min read

Flight ends, Amit Kumar brought back to Delhi

News18test sharma, |

Updated: February 9, 2008, 7:18 PM IST
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp
Flight ends, Amit Kumar brought back to Delhi
Nepal delivers on promise, speeds up deportation.

Kathmandu: Dr Amit Kumar, the alleged chief of a nationwide kidney racket, was on Saturday evening brought to Delhi after his deportation from Nepal.

Kumar, who was arrested from a resort in Chitwan in southern Nepal on Thursday, was handed over to a two-member Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) team in Kathmandu on Saturday evening.

He was immediately flown to New Delhi on board the flight IC 814. The CBI, which has already filed an FIR in the case, will now begin its investigations. The CBI officials have brought Amit Kumar to CBI headquarters for interrogation.

He was put on flight IC-814, which landed in Delhi international airport at around 1900 hrs IST. The CBI has registered a case against Kumar, 40, and others last night on a request from the Haryana government under various sections of Indian Penal Code and Human Organ Transplant Act.

Sources close to the investigation have told CNN-IBN that Kumar was presented in court earlier on Saturday. The Nepal government decided to deport him, as the charge of foreign exchange violation he faced in that country is not as serious as the charges he faces in India.

Kathmandu police is now looking for Amit's brother Jeevan, who is also believed to be in Nepal.

Kumar was arrested from Hotel Wildlife Camp in Chitwan near the Indo-Nepal border and foreign currency of Euro 145,000, USD 18,900 and an Indian bank draft of Rs 936,000 were seized from his possession.

The doctor, who is suspected to have carried out 500 illegal kidney transplants, claims he has not committed any crime.

Nepalese police said after questioning Kumar that he had "confessed" to carrying out over 300 kidney transplants in

Nepalese police said that Kumar "admitted" to charging Rs three-four lakh for each transplant. He "confessed" to looking for hospitals in Nepal through an agent Pankaj Jha, who is now absconding.

An Interpol Red Corner Notice was issued against the tainted doctor after the massive racket with inter-state and international ramifications came to light on January 24.

Nepalese media reports quoted a police official as saying that Kumar had tried to bribe the police team which went to arrest him.

Police Inspector Prakash Malla, who went to arrest Kumar, told a private television here that the Indian doctor offered upto Rs one crore to set him free.

Police said they also recovered some fake documents from him which indicated that he was trying to acquire Nepalese citizenship and another passport apparently to help him fly to Canada to join his family there.

With Agency inputs

First Published: February 9, 2008, 7:18 PM IST
Read full article
Next Story
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp