Food Bill to go to Cabinet before Nov 20: Thomas
Thomas had last Saturday discussed the National Food Security legislation with UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
New Delhi: The Food Ministry on Monday said the consultation process on the crucial National Food Security Bill of the government is almost over and the draft Bill will be presented to Cabinet by November 20.
"I propose to finish all the work and bring the draft National Food Security Bill to Cabinet before November 20," Food and Consumer Affairs Minister KV Thomas told reporters.
"Consultation process is almost over and we have got the views of almost all the state governments except Andhra Pradesh," the minister said while giving details on the progress of the crucial legislation.
Thomas had last Saturday discussed the National Food Security legislation with UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi. The proposed Bill aims to provide the right to subsidised foodgrains to nearly 70 per cent of the country's population.
He had told Gandhi that the Food Ministry will start finalising the draft Bill next week.
"We have received feedback from state governments. There are some changes. We will start preparing the final Bill next week," Thomas had told Gandhi.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had asked the states to send their comments on the draft Bill at the earliest to help the government finalise the Bill for introduction in the Winter Session of Parliament.
Earlier, the Bill, which was expected to be tabled in the Monsoon Session of Parliament, was deferred for detailed consultations with the state governments.
Meanwhile, at an event, Thomas received a cheque of Rs 75.88 lakh from cooperative NCCF as dividend for year 2010-11.
- After Google and Salesforce, Disney Now Wants to Buy Twitter
- Google Station, YouTube Go, Google Play for 2G Launched
- Google to Provide Public Wi-Fi Hotspots in Malls, Universities in India
- Happy Birthday! Google is Now an Adult
- Lenovo Sacks "Hundreds" of Employees at Motorola: Report
- Top 5: 4G Smartphones Under Rs 10,000; Is Xiaomi Still The King?
- Lenovo Z2 Plus With Snapdragon 820 Processor Launched At Rs 17,999
- We Did Discuss About Removing Dhoni From Captaincy: Sandeep Patil