Four Tamil fishermen attacked by Sri Lankan navy
The fishermen, Selvam, Mariappan, Vijayakuamr and Soundirarajan of Vellapallam fishing hamlet were fishing about four nautical miles south-east off Kodiakarai.
Nagapattinam: Four fishermen from the district were allegedly attacked by Sri Lankan Navy personnel with wooden logs while they were fishing off Kodiakarai coast in a mechanised boat, official sources said here on Thursday. The fishermen, who went for fishing on Wednesday, returned on Thursday morning and have been admitted to a government hospital with injuries, they said.
The fishermen, Selvam, Mariappan, Vijayakuamr and Soundirarajan of Vellapallam fishing hamlet were fishing about four nautical miles south-east off Kodiakarai on Wednesday when the Sri Lankan Navy personnel arrived there in a speed boat and attacked them with wooden logs, besides destroying their catch, they added.
The navy had last week arrested 56 Tamil fishermen on charges of poaching in the Sri Lankan waters.
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Top 5 Controversies Over the Years
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- New Audi A4 30 TFSI Review: It is Powerful and Environment Friendly
- Champions League: Sergio Aguero stars as Man City sink Monaco