Four Vidarbha farmers commit suicide
Four farmers have committed suicide in the Washim district of Vidarbha in the past few days, said the police.
New Delhi: Four farmers have committed suicide in the Washim district of Vidarbha in the past few days, said the police.
While a young farmer, Baban Fakira Bhimte, a resident of Krishna village in the bordering Washim district, committed suicide by consuming poison, a 40-year-old farmer, Gajanan Namdeo Tank, from Junibasti Murtizapur Tahsil town in the district, hanged himself from a ceiling fan.
In other incidents, two other farmers, Ramesh Yadavrao Nemane from Pasarni village in the district, and a 50-year-old farmer, Janrao Bhimrao Wankhade from Ramtek village, took their own lives.
Extreme indebtedness is said to be the cause of the suicides. Two relief packages have been announced for Vidarbha since December, but the suicides continue.
All the cases have been registered as accidental deaths, the police added.
(With Agency inputs)
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Watch: Big5@10 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Watch: India @9 With Zakka Jacob
- BlackBerry To Stop Making Handsets, Will Outsource Production
- Uran Terror Scare: Navi Mumbai Cops Call Off Search Operation
- Navy Calls off Search Operations in URAN; ATS, Police Continue the Hunt
- Police Release Sketch of Suspects Based on School Children's Description
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18