Free Sarabjit, Krishna requests Pakistan
The appeal came after Pakistan's apparent volte-face about releasing Sarabjit Singh.
New Delhi: India Wednesday welcomed the release of Surjeet Singh from a Pakistani jail and renewed its "request" to Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari to also free Sarabjit Singh and all Indian prisoners who had completed their sentences.
"I have seen media reports about release from imprisonment in Pakistan, of Surjeet Singh, son of Sucha Singh. I welcome this decision and further renew our request to the president of Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh who has been in custody for well over two decades and is serving a death sentence," said External Affairs Minister SM Krishna.
The appeal came after Pakistan's apparent volte-face about releasing Sarabjit Singh. On June 26, the Pakistani media had carried reports of Sarabjit getting a presidential pardon. However, Islamabad clarified late evening that it was not Sarabjit but Surjeet Singh, his fellow inmate at Kot Lakhpat jail, who would be released.
Krishna urged the government of Pakistan to take a "sympathetic and humanitarian view" of Sarabjit's case.
"I also appeal to the government of Pakistan to release all Indian nationals who have completed their prison term," he added.
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Pan Masala Row: Saddened to Know It Can Cause Cancer, Says Pierce Brosnan
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- Islamic State Retaliates as Iraqi Forces Push on Mosul
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18