Fuel price hike irrational: Swami Agnivesh
Social activist Swami Agnivesh also demanded audit of political parties by the CAG.
Shimla: Social activist Swami Agnivesh on Sunday described the hike in diesel, kerosene and LPG prices as "irrational" and said "corruption", which is mother of inflation, fuelled the cost.
He also accused the Centre of levying high excise duty of 50 per cent on petroleum products and asked the government to roll back the prices by reducing the duty. "Fight against corruption will continue and the movement would be totally non-political and non-violent and the civil society leaders would not be cowed down by the mean tactics of the government," he said told reporters in Shimla.
On the land provided by the Himachal Pradesh government to Patanjali Yogpeeth of Ramdev and his other "commercial activities," Agnivesh said the enforcement Directorate and Income Tax department was making enquiries and he had no knowledge about this.
He also sought enactment of a law, making it mandatory for all political parties and politicians to make their assets public. He also demanded audit of political parties by the CAG.
On differences between the government and the civil society members on Lokpal Bill, Agnivesh said the drafting committee of the government had only Congress ministers in it and claimed UPA allies were not taken into confidence.
Political parties like CPM and CPI were in favour of bringing the Prime Minister in the purview of Lokpal, he said. He hoped parties like BJP, AIADMK, Trinmool Congress and TDP would be taken into confidence by the civil society team to seek their support for the bill.
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 3 in Abu Dhabi
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about the 2-day BRICS Summit
- Deserve Another Shot at International Cricket, Says Saeed Ajmal
- Whenever We Planned To Play India, Something Happens: PCB
- Kabaddi World Cup 2016: Coach Dedicates Title Win to Uri Martyrs
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K