Gali Janardhan Reddy chargesheeted in illegal mining case
The allegation is that the accused were parties to a criminal conspiracy entered among themselves during 2009-2010 to commit various offences including excavation of iron ore from mines.
Bangalore: The CBI probing the alleged multi-crore iron ore scam on Monday filed its chargesheet against former minister and mining baron G Janardhana Reddy and six other accused in the case.
The chargesheet running into 15,000 pages was filed before the CBI Special Court Judge Shreedshananda.
Apart from Reddy, S Muthaiah, then Deputy Conservator of Bellary Forest; SP Raju, the then Deputy Director of Hospet Mines and Geology Department; Reddy's close aide Mehfuz Ali Khan, Manoj Kumar Shukla, the then Conservator of Bellary Forests; Nagaraj and K Mahesh have been named in the chargesheet.
The accused have been chargesheeted under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Prevention of Corruption Act. The allegation is that the accused were parties to a criminal conspiracy entered among themselves during 2009-2010 to commit various offences including excavation of iron ore from mines and forest areas in Bellary district and surrounding areas.
They later allegedly sold the same to various traders and transported it to Belekeri port in Uttara Kannada district for export causing a "wrongful loss" of Rs 198 crore to the exchequer and "wrongful gain" to themselves.
One of the accused prayed to offer a confessional statement. The court then posted the matter to June 7 for orders on recording of confessional statement.
Earlier, the court dismissed the application filed by Khan seeking interim bail to attend a function. Of the seven chargesheeted, six are in judicial custody.
- People Celebrated Choti Diwali After Surgical Strikes, says PM Modi
- PM Modi Urges People to Break out of SP-BSP Stranglehold in UP
- PM Modi Bats for Women's Rights, Wants Practice of Triple Talaq to go
- I'm a Gujarati at Heart, Says President Pranab Mukherjee
- Amar Singh Got Akhilesh Story Planted in Newspaper: Ashu Malik
- SP's Abu Azmi Lashes Out at Amar Singh, Blames him For Crisis in Party
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: South Korea Strengthen Semifinal Claim With 5-3 Win Over China
- How Samajwadi Party Will Look Like if it Splits