Gambhir-Watson spar, slapped with misconduct charge
Indian opener, Aussie bowler charged with violating ICC code of conduct.
New Delhi: Indian opener Gautam Gambhir and Australian all-rounder Shane Watson have been charged for violating the International Cricket Council's (ICC) Code of Conduct during their on-field spat on the first day of the third Test match at the Ferozeshah Kotla.
A couple of times during the first day's play, Wednesday, Gambhir had run-ins with medium pacer Watson and spinner Simon Katich. The first incident happened with Watson after the Australian hurled some abuses at the batsmen and while taking a run Gambhir's stuck out his elbow that hit Watson, who seemed to have taken serious offence.
Gambhir has been charged under clause C1 Level 2 of the code which states that players "shall at all times conduct play within the spirit of the game as well as within the Laws of Cricket".
Watson has been charged under the same clause, C1, but as a Level 1 offence.
The charges were laid by on-field umpires Billy Bowden and Aleem Dar and third umpire Suresh Shastri. Match Referee Chris Broad will hear it after the second day's play Thursday.
Level 2 penalties range from a fine of between 50 percent of the player's match fee up to 100 percent or a ban of one Test or two ODIs. Level 1 penalties range from an official reprimand and/or a fine of up to 50 percent of the player's match fee.
The second incident happened with Katich, when the bowler came in Gambhir's way to deny him a single. Gambhir looked furious and a heated exchange of words took place and umpire Billy Bowden had to step in to separate them.
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Adnan Sami Responds After Being Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time
- Rahul Gandhi Pledges Congress' Full Support to Modi Over Surgical Strikes
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- Kareena Kapoor, Saif Ali Khan Make The Most Stylish Couple; Here's The Proof