Gangrape could have been prevented: CJI
CJI also said he hoped the fast track court for dealing with sexual abuse cases would be operational immediately.
New Delhi: An incident like the brutal Delhi gangrape could have been prevented had the Supreme Court's guidelines on removal of tinted glasses from all vehicles been followed, Chief Justice of India (CJI) Altamas Kabir said Wednesday. Inaugurating a fast track court in Saket district courts, Chief Justice Kabir said, "it's good to know that after the December 16 tragic incident, people have started raising their voice on crime against women."
The CJI expressed hope that the fast track court at Saket courts for dealing with cases of sexual abuse would be operational immediately. Chief Justice Kabir said that a blame game after such incidents should be avoided as "it would not serve anything".
"A blame game will not serve anything. We have to go to the root of the problem. This case, which is in the public eye, should be decided as early as possible," he said. The Delhi High Court had a few days ago agreed to open five fast track courts after the city government suggested so, following the December 16 gangrape of a young girl, who later died due to the injuries that the six accused inflicted on her, in a moving bus.
Chief Justice Kabir said four other fast track courts would be made operational in different parts of Delhi to show "we mean business in tackling matters of such nature". Delhi High Court Chief Justice D Murugesan, who was also present, said that judicial officers have been identified for the fast track courts and wherever possible, cases will be taken up for daily hearing.
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte