Gangrape: Vice President Ansari seeks tough laws
Vice President Hamid Ansari described the gruesome Delhi gangrape as an incident that "let our heads hang in shame".
New Delhi: Describing the gruesome Delhi gangrape as an incident that "let our heads hang in shame", Vice President Hamid Ansari on Monday sought immediate steps for comprehensive corrective measures in laws and social behaviour. He said one must remember that full respect for human rights of all and on all occasions, inclusive of gender equality and gender justice, are prerequisites of a modern, progressive, society.
"A recent event on the eve of the New Year gave all of us occasion for remorse and sorrow. It made us, as a people, hang our heads in shame. The expressions of anguish and anger, fully justified, must now be speedily translated into comprehensive correctives in laws, procedures, societal norms and values, and social behaviour," Ansari said, addressing NCC Republic Day Camp 2013 in New Delhi.
The 23-year-old victim, a paramedical student, was brutally raped and assaulted in a moving bus in New Delhi on the night of December 16 and died of her injuries on December 29 in a Singapore hospital.
The Vice President said this responsibility must be shouldered by all and discharged by all. "As a disciplined corps of young men and women, you can be the vanguard and trend setters," he told the NCC cadets."
NCC is the premier uniformed youth organisation of the country and its contribution to nation building deserves highest commendation. It helps channelise the energy of our youth into a creative force to usher in social change to a wide spectrum of activities which are powerful instrument of awakening in the society at grass-root level," he said.
A total of 2004 cadets, both boys and girls drawn from 17 NCC Directorates, covering all the states and Union Territories are participating in the camp that culminates on January 28.
- Pakistan Target Twenty20 Whitewash Over West Indies
- UNGA: Sushma Says Kashmir Integral Part of India; Asks Pakistan To Stop Dreaming
- Petition to Declare Pak a Sponsor of Terrorism Crosses 1 Lakh Signatures
- Indian Minister Disowned UN Resolutions in Speech: Pakistan
- I Have Experience, Says Hillary Clinton on Trump's 'Presidential Look' Jibe at Her
- Hillary Vs Trump: US Dollar Declines Before Presidential Debate
- US Presidential Debate Live: I Have Experience, Says Hillary on Trump's 'Presidential Look' Jibe at Her
- US Presidential Candidates Neck and Neck as They Go Toe-To-Toe