Gasquet upsets Ferrer to reach US Open semi-finals
Richard Gasquet reached his first grand slam semi-final in six years with a 6-3 6-1 4-6 2-6 6-3 upset win over Spain's David Ferrer.
New York: Frenchman Richard Gasquet reached his first grand slam semi-final in six years with a 6-3 6-1 4-6 2-6 6-3 upset win over Spain's David Ferrer at the US Open on Wednesday.
Playing in just the second grand slam quarter-final of his career, eighth-seeded Gasquet used his trademark backhand to near perfection as he closed out fourth-seed Ferrer in three hours and 23 minutes at Flushing Meadows.
"I thought he was a little bit nervous in the wind, so I played on that," said Gasquet. "I was a little bit tired but the last game was amazing for me. It's wonderful for me to be in the semis. It means a lot."
Gasquet will play second-seed Rafa Nadal for a place in Monday's final.
Recommended For You
- Claudio Ranieri Sacking Shows How Heartless Modern Day Football Is
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Kumble Defends Kohli & Co, Says It Was Just One Bad Day For India
- Rangoon Review: Kangana Shines in This War-Time Romance
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology