Gasquet upsets Ferrer to reach US Open semi-finals
Richard Gasquet reached his first grand slam semi-final in six years with a 6-3 6-1 4-6 2-6 6-3 upset win over Spain's David Ferrer.
New York: Frenchman Richard Gasquet reached his first grand slam semi-final in six years with a 6-3 6-1 4-6 2-6 6-3 upset win over Spain's David Ferrer at the US Open on Wednesday.
Playing in just the second grand slam quarter-final of his career, eighth-seeded Gasquet used his trademark backhand to near perfection as he closed out fourth-seed Ferrer in three hours and 23 minutes at Flushing Meadows.
"I thought he was a little bit nervous in the wind, so I played on that," said Gasquet. "I was a little bit tired but the last game was amazing for me. It's wonderful for me to be in the semis. It means a lot."
Gasquet will play second-seed Rafa Nadal for a place in Monday's final.
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- Karan Johar Vs MNS: CM Fadnavis Turns Peacemaker
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Raj Thackeray Claims Victory, Rs 5 Cr Penance For Producers Employing Pak Artistes
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official