German govt warns of Internet Explorer breach
The code behind the Internet Explorer attack is freely available online and might therefore spread rapidly.
Berlin: The German government agency overseeing IT safety is warning of a security breach in Microsoft's Internet Explorer and recommending people use other browsers until the problem is fixed.
The browser's "weak point is already being used for targeted attacks," the Federal Office for Information Security warned, adding that the code behind the attack is freely available online and might therefore spread rapidly.
A spokesman for Microsoft said on Tuesday that the company is aware of the issue and is working on soon rolling out a software update, a so-called patch, to fix the browser's security features.
"This is not a massive problem. There have been only a small number of targeted attacks," said spokesman Thomas Baumgaertner. He could not provide a figure of the number of attacks recorded so far.
The browser is used by hundreds of millions of consumers and workers around the world.
In its warning published late Monday, Germany's IT watchdog called on people using Windows XP or Windows 7 operating systems and Internet Explorer versions 7, 8 or 9 to switch to alternative browsers until Microsoft updates the browser's security features.
Attackers lure users to an infected website, for example through an emailed link. Visiting the website then allows hackers to introduce codes to take control of the user's computer, the BSI agency said.
Baumgaertner noted that people should always be vigilant when clicking on links from unknown sources. He also added that many antivirus programs might already be updated to protect their users against attacks through the browser loophole.
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Happy That Censor Board is Standing by Us to Release 31st October: Vir Das
- Supreme Court Set To Revisit 'Hindutva' Judgment After 20 Years