Germany stun Australia in Davis Cup World Group
Germany turned turn a 1-2 deficit into a 3-2 victory to retain a berth in the Davis Cup World Group.
Berlin: Germany staged a remarkable comeback against Australia to turn a 1-2 deficit into a 3-2 victory to retain a berth in the Davis Cup World Group in Hamburg, Germany.
Florian Mayer cruised to a straight 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 victory over Bernard Tomic to make it two all Sunday, reports Xinhua.
Youngster Cedrik Marcel Stebe finally sealed the win for Germany with a stunning victory over Lleyton Hewitt in three straight sets 6-4, 6-1, 6-4.
Stebe, world No. 127, started with 0-3 deficit into the first set but remained unfazed to win against world No.75.
"It is the biggest success of my career," Stebe said after the win.
Thus Germany ensured their berth at the World Group, Australia stay another year in Asia/Oceania Zone Group I.
"This victory calls for a celebration," Germany tennis team manager Patrick Kuehnen said.
Recommended For You
- Trapped Trailer Featuring Rajkummar Rao Will Leave You Intrigued
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- Akshay Kumar's Jolly LLB 2 Crosses Rs 100 Crore-mark in India
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology
- MS Dhoni Travels By Train After 13 Years