Ghaziabad: Murder accused dies in police lock-up
While a fellow prisoner has alleged that the victim was tortured to death, police officials dismissed the charges.
Ghaziabad: The main accused in a double murder case was found dead under mysterious circumstances inside a Ghaziabad police station lock-up on Sunday. The dead man Vineet Sharma was arrested along with another accused Narendra for allegedly murdering a CISF constable and his wife in Ghaziabad.
Vineet, the brother-in-law of the killed CISF constable, and Narendra had been arrested by a team of Uttar Pradesh Police from Hathras. Vineet's body was found hanging in the police lock-up. An enquiry has been ordered with police claiming that Vineet committed suicide.
However, a fellow prisoner has alleged that the victim was tortured to death, police officials dismissed the charges.
SSP Nitin Tiwari ruled out allegations of custodial death, saying that Vineet committed suicide and the post-mortem report will bring out the truth.
Stressing that a thorough inquiry will be conducted into the matter, Tiwari said no departmental official will be spared if found guilty.
Narendra, however, has alleged that they were given third degree torture and Vineet died of electric shocks.
Constable Suresh Kumar Sharma and his wife Babli were found dead in the CISF staff quarters on April 24.
(With additional information from PTI)
- India Jumps 16 Places in Global Competitiveness Index
- Saamna Cartoonist Expresses Regret Over Cartoon That Triggered Protests
- Saamana Office Attacked Over Cartoon Mocking Maratha Protests
- Colombia, Marxist Rebels Sign Accord Ending 52-Year War
- Indus Water Treaty: India Can't Unilaterally Separate Itself, Says Sharif
- Pakistan Capable of Meeting Any Threat: Nawaz Sharif
- Collapse of SAARC Summit Unfortunate, Says Mehbooba Mufti
- World Bank Commits to Fulfilling Obligations Under Indus Waters Treaty: Pakistan