Giedo van der Garde to drive for Caterham
Giedo van der Garde's first F1 race will be the Australian Grand Prix on March 17 in Melbourne.
Amsterdam: Giedo van der Garde will be driving for Caterham in Formula One this season. The Dutchman, who was a test driver for the team last season, joins French driver Charles Pic at the wheel of the team's CT03 race cars, which are to be unveiled next week at pre-season testing in Jerez, Spain.
"This is the next natural step for Giedo with our team," Caterham team principal Cyril Abiteboul said Friday, adding the appointment "is Giedo's opportunity to show he deserves his place at the very highest level of global motorsport."
The 27-year-old Van der Garde announced his new ride at a presentation in an Amsterdam clothing store.
"I know I am ready to take the step up to F1," said Van der Garde, who will be the first Dutch F1 driver since Christijan Albers in 2007.
Van der Garde joined Caterham last year, racing in the GP2 team and winning races in Spain and Singapore on his way to a fifth-place finish in the drivers' championship. His first F1 race will be the Australian Grand Prix on March 17 in Melbourne.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Hyderabad Pacer Siraj Says "Want to Take Virat Kohli's Wicket"
- 2017 Audi A3 Facelift First Drive Review: The Future is Cylinder on Demand
- Two-Minute Silence For Ranveer's Appearance at Shahid's Pre-birthday Party
- Anaarkali of Aarah: Karan Johar Unveils Swara's Never-seen-before Avatar
- Porter's Son Thangarasu Natarajan: From Tennis Ball Star to IPL Big Bucks