Gilles Simon reaches ABN AMRO World quarters
The fifth-seeded Frenchman will face the winner of the second-round match between Martin Klizan and Igor Sijsling.
Rotterdam: Gilles Simon became the first player to reach the quarterfinals of the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament by beating Italian qualifier Matteo Viola 6-3, 6-1 on Wednesday.
The fifth-seeded Frenchman will face the winner of the second-round match between Martin Klizan and Igor Sijsling, who upset Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the first round.
Marcos Baghdatis reached the second round when his French opponent Benoit Paire retired while trailing 6-0, 6-7 (3), 4-0.
Another French player, fourth-seeded Richard Gasquet, beat Viktor Troicki of Serbia 7-6 (3), 6-1 to reach the second round.
Later Wednesday, defending champion Roger Federer was playing Grega Zemlja in his first match of the tournament.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- Oscars 2017: Why The Sudden Criticism For La La Land Is Disappointing
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- Malayalam Actor Prithiviraj Writes Powerful Post Apologising for Misogyny in Films
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology