J&K: Parties decry fatwa as girl band decides to quit
The band on Monday decided to quit after a fatwa was issued against them by the valley's Grand Mufti, Bashir-ud-Din.
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Monday said that full security will be provided to the members of the state's first girl band if they wanted to pursue their music career. "The decision to continue or not continue lies with the band. Jammu and Kashmir always had a musical history. The girls can continue their musical career. The state will provide security," said Omar, in an interview to CNN-IBN.
The young Chief Minister added that Islam did not sanction threatening people.
The band on Monday decided to quit after a fatwa was issued against them by the valley's Grand Mufti, Bashir-ud-Din, who said that women must live in purdah at all times. Blaming women for the increase in crimes against them, he said that women must desist from performing in public as otherwise, there will be no difference between "our women and film actresses".
The opposition party in Jammu and Kashmir, People's Democratic Party's Mehbooba Mufti too slammed the fatwa against the girls saying it was unreasonable. She urged the state government to intervene and take action.
Naeem Akhtar of the PDP said, "Mufti sahab has made it a habit of issuing fatwas on every thing. It gives Islam a bad name. Music is an intrinsic part of Kashmir's culture, we have had many great singers."
Najma Heptullah of the BJP said, "If God has given talent to someone, then to use God's name to put a ban on it is wrong."
- Salman Khan's Bodyguard Shera Faces Assault Charges in Mumbai
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor
- Dear Zindagi: SRK Asks Alia Bhatt to Crack Better Jokes in the New Teaser
- I Want To Be My Best For My Daughter: Shahid Kapoor
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: Shivpal Expels Akhilesh's Aide Pawan Pandey From Party
- Samajwadi Party Live: Mulayam Singh 'Ready In Principle' to Ally With Congress-RLD, Hints Shivpal Yadav
- Samajwadi Party Feud: Mulayam Singh Yadav Has Cemented Akhilesh's Future By Playing it Out in Public
- Uri Attack: JuD Claims Responsibility For The Terror Assault, Pak Under Pressure