'Give death sentence to Sorena'
The family members of Shashinath Jha on Monday moved to the Delhi High Court seeking death sentence for Shibu Soren.
New Delhi: The family members of Shashinath Jha on Monday moved to the Delhi High Court seeking death sentence for Shibu Soren in Jha's murder case.
Filing a revision petition before the Bench of Justice Manmohan Sarin and S L Bhayana, Jha's mother Priyambada Devi and his daughters sought enhancement of the sentence from life imprisonment to death penalty.
Death penalty would be an adequate deterrent to the class of persons to which the convicts belong, says the petition.
The petition submits that Jha's daughters have been orphaned and it is not easy to pull on with life without father especially during the marriage.
In the petition, they also sought enhancement of compensation from Rs 5 lakh to Rs 50 lakh saying that Kavita and Preeti, daughters of Jha, have been incapacitated to earn their livelihood and have received only "token compensation" which is of no significance.
Soren, who has been sentenced to life imprisonment for killing Jha in December last year, is at present held in Tihar Jail.
The court fixed Mach 5 for hearing the petition besides hearing on Soren's appeal and bail application.
A Delhi court had on December 26 last convicted Soren and four others for abduction and murder of Jha.
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Donald Trump Will Be Next US President, Predicts Election Wizard
- Fadnavis 'Did not Discourage' Johar's 5 Crore 'Donation' to Army Fund
- UK PM Theresa May had Expressed Concerns Over Brexit Weeks Before Referendum
- Excerpts From the Mistry Email Alleges That Ratan Tata was a Behind the Scenes Presence
- Cyrus Mistry's Explosive Email to Tata Board Hints He Was Made a 'Lame Duck'
- Full Text of Cyrus Mistry Interview that Tata Group Scrapped
- Tata Sons Appoints Ralf Speth, N Chandrasekaran on Board