'Give death sentence to Sorena'
The family members of Shashinath Jha on Monday moved to the Delhi High Court seeking death sentence for Shibu Soren.
New Delhi: The family members of Shashinath Jha on Monday moved to the Delhi High Court seeking death sentence for Shibu Soren in Jha's murder case.
Filing a revision petition before the Bench of Justice Manmohan Sarin and S L Bhayana, Jha's mother Priyambada Devi and his daughters sought enhancement of the sentence from life imprisonment to death penalty.
Death penalty would be an adequate deterrent to the class of persons to which the convicts belong, says the petition.
The petition submits that Jha's daughters have been orphaned and it is not easy to pull on with life without father especially during the marriage.
In the petition, they also sought enhancement of compensation from Rs 5 lakh to Rs 50 lakh saying that Kavita and Preeti, daughters of Jha, have been incapacitated to earn their livelihood and have received only "token compensation" which is of no significance.
Soren, who has been sentenced to life imprisonment for killing Jha in December last year, is at present held in Tihar Jail.
The court fixed Mach 5 for hearing the petition besides hearing on Soren's appeal and bail application.
A Delhi court had on December 26 last convicted Soren and four others for abduction and murder of Jha.
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Watch: Big5@10 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Watch: India @9 With Zakka Jacob
- Syrian, Russian Air Strikes Kill 25 Civilians in Syria, Says Human Rights Group
- UN Aid Convoy in Syria Hit by Airstrike; UN Outraged
- UN Aid Chief Warns of 'Unparalleled' Catastrophe in Aleppo
- Haunting Image Of Syrian Boy Rescued From Rubble Show True Horrors Of Aleppo
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18