Goa: Alleged serial killer threatens rape survivor
Preliminary investigations into the calls have revealed how banned articles like mobile phones were smuggled into the prison.
Panaji: Goa Police has registered an offence against suspected serial killer Mahanand Naik under Information Technology Act for threatening a woman, whom he had allegedly raped, using a mobile phone from inside the high-security Central Jail at Aguada near Panaji. "Inquiries into the complaint made by the victim at Ponda Police had revealed that the calls were actually made to her from the mobile phone which had a location at Calangute, where Aguada Jail is located", a state police spokesman said on Thursday.
Preliminary investigations into the calls have revealed how banned articles like mobile phones were smuggled into the prison. According to police, the mobile phone number allegedly used by Mahanand in making threatening calls to the rape survivor was registered in the name of one Wilfred Rodrigues, a resident of Nachinola village.
"However, Rodrigues has said that he does not know Mahanand", he said, adding the inquiries have revealed that the documents submitted to acquire the SIM card were forged. The investigations, he said, are surrounding the affairs within the jail and a massive search has been launched in the Portuguese-era jail to scout for the banned substances.
"We are yet to recover the mobile phone but we will get it soon", he added. Mahanand had 18 cases of murders against him of which he was acquitted in 8 cases while three cases in which he is convicted are being tried in the high court following his appeal.
The alleged serial killer had been convicted in 2010 by the North Goa Sessions court for raping his wife's friend for four years and then threatening to kill her.
- Mulayam Singh Jealous of Akhilesh Yadav's Popularity: Ram Gopal Yadav
- Everything is Fine in Samajwadi Party, Says Shivpal Singh Yadav
- SP Meet Turns Into Open War of Words
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Live: Akhilesh Yadav to Reinstate Shivpal, 3 Ministers; Ram Gopal Yadav Attacks Mulayam
- Tata Group Stocks Fall on Mistry's Ouster; Tata Steel Down 3%
- My Character in Rock On 2 Goes Through an Internal Conflict: Farhan Akhtar
- 'Rock On!!' Was Shraddha Kapoor's Favourite Film During Her Growing Up Years
- Cyrus Mistry's Exit May Trigger Major Correction in Tata Stocks: Experts