Goa ex-minister, mayor held for attack on police station
Trouble began when two rival gangs clashed with each other at Taleigao.
Panaji: Former Goa minister and MLA Atanasio Monserratte along with city Mayor Tony Rodrigues was detained on Tuesday night after a mob, led by them, attacked Panaji police station, setting three vehicles on fire.
About 25 policemen were also injured during the clash. The situation in Panaji and surrounding areas remained tensed as police launched a major operation to arrest the supporters of Monserratte, who had earlier attacked the police station.
Trouble began on Tuesday evening when two rival gangs clashed with each other at Taleigao here. Police later arrested two persons acting upon a complaint.
This irked Monserratte supporters who led a huge morcha at the police station. The situation went out of control when agitators began pelting stones at the police station and later torched three vehicles.
In an attempt to bring the situation under control, police resorted to lathi charge and fired tear gas to disperse the mob.
The police then went to Monserratte's residence and ransacked his bungalow, detaining his wife, who is also a political activist.
Later, Monserratte, who had arrived with the city Mayor was also detained by the police, police said.
Police had taken charge of the entire city and media was asked to leave the place.
- Cyclonic Storm Kyant May be Heading Towards Andhra Pradesh
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Odisha CM After Security Forces Kill 24 Maoists
- Andhra Pradesh Deputy CM Suffers Minor Injury After Elevator Cable Snaps
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Fadnavis 'Did not Discourage' Johar's 5 Crore 'Donation' to Army Fund
- Cyrus Mistry's Explosive Email to Tata Board Hints He Was Made a 'Lame Duck'
- Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte Wants US Troops Out in Two Years, Willing to Scrap Defence Pacts
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
From Our Network
- Punjab polls: As Arvind Kejriwal loses the plot, Congress might just break its losing streak- FirstPost
- Diwali gift for commuters, DND flyway made toll free after Allahabad High Court order - Pradesh18
- Inspiring: Shahdol man, who lost both arms in an accident, drives auto-rickshaw to earn living - Pradesh18