Two Goans arrested from Mumbai in serial killings case
Goa Home Minister had indicated that killings may be handiwork of outsiders.
Panaji: In a major breakthrough in the serial killings case, Goa Police arrested two persons on Friday, who had fled to Mumbai, for allegedly murdering a 16-year-old girl and later burning her body.
Chandrakant Talwar (35) and Sairan Rodrigues (20) were arrested for killing Evita Rodrigues, whose body was found at Verna village in a charred condition.
"Two Goans arrested in Mumbai have confessed to killing the girl and burning her. We are not ruling out their hand in other killings, which were done in a similar style," Deputy IGP Ravindra Yadav told reporters in Panaji.
His statement came moments after Home Minister Ravi Naik claimed these incidents might be handiwork of people from outside the state.
"These incidents should not be looked upon as a referendum on state's security. There is every possibility that someone from outside the state might have done the crime," Naik said.
Police, since Monday, have found 10 bodies, of which eight were murders, and among them three were killed and burnt. The fourth girl was found with her head smashed with a stone in the outskirts of Panaji.
All these bodies were found around Panaji city within a radius of 30 km. Yadav said both the accused, who were earlier involved in robbery, were arrested in Mumbai this morning and were being brought to Goa.
"I cannot comment anything at this moment because they are yet to be interrogated," he said. Goa police had formed two special investigation teams (SITs) and also had taken the help of Crime Branch to solve the mystery.
Police had on Thursday arrested four people for killing a family of four and later dumping them in a creek.
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
- Tata Shake-up May Distract Group from Restructuring Efforts
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- News360: Will Focus on Poll Campaign, Akhilesh Yadav Tells CNN-News18
- Akhilesh Yadav Downplays Samajwadi Party Feud, To Focus on Polls
- Samajwadi Party is United, No Rift Family: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Mulayam Singh Jealous of Akhilesh Yadav's Popularity: Ram Gopal Yadav