Two Dead, 30 Missing After Bridge Over Goa River Collapses
More than 30 persons are believed to be missing after an old bridge in Curchorem town in south Goa partially collapsed on Thursday evening.
Panaji: At least two people died and 30 went missing after a Portuguese-era bridge over Sanvordem river in south Goa collapsed on Thursday evening.
Police said over 50 people standing on the bridge when it caved in. The people had gathered on the dilapidated bridge to watch the rescue operation of a youth, who had jumped into the river to commit suicide, PTI reported.
"While the rescue teams have recovered two bodies from the river so far, at least 30 people are still missing. Some of those who fell into the river, managed to swim ashore," the police said.
"Around 50 people had gathered on the bridge to see the rescue operation. When the bridged caved in, all of them were flung into the river. However, some of them managed to swim to the shore," the official said.
Meanwhile, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh spoke to Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar over the bridge collapse incident.
"Spoke to Goa CM Shri @manoharparrikar regarding the bridge collapse on Sanvordem river. Search and rescue ops have been intensified," Singh tweeted.
(With PTI inputs)
Recommended For You
- Reader's Query - Best Diesel Automatic Car under Rs 10 Lakhs - Maruti Suzuki Dzire ZDI AGS
- Chris Lynn Dislocates Right Shoulder During Trans-Tasman Final
- 4 Years of Highway: Imtiaz Ali Goes Down Memory Lane, Shares Unseen Photos of Alia Bhatt, Randeep Hooda
- Sridevi's Daughter Khushi Kapoor is a Fashionista in the Making; See Pics
- Reliance Jio Ranked 17th Among World's 50 Most Innovative Companies