Google honours Ella Fitzgerald on her 96th birthday with a doodle
The doodle features Ella Fitzgerald giving a stage performance. Replacing the second 'G' of Google, Ella appears in the foreground.
New Delhi: Commemorating the 96th birthday of American jazz vocalist Ella Fitzgerald, Google has posted a doodle on its homepage. Ella Fitzgerald, who was also known as the "First Lady of Song", "Queen of Jazz", and "Lady Ella", was a notable interpreter of the Great American Songbook.
The doodle features Ella Fitzgerald giving a stage performance. Replacing the second 'G' of Google, Ella Fitzgerald appears in the foreground. Other accompanists playing a saxophone, trumpet, double bass and drums are seen in the background.
Born in Newport News, Virginia on April 25, 1917, she moved to Yonkers, New York with her mother and stepfather while very young.
Jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald, at the age of 78, died on Saturday at her home in Beverly Hills. Fitzgerald was regarded as one of the world's finest jazz singers and won 12 Grammies in her career.
In 1934, Fitzgerald began singing with the Chick Webb Orchestra and made her her first recording with the band two years later when she was 17.
Her first self-penned hit, written before her 20th birthday, was the saucy jazz standard, "A-Tisket, A-Tasket," which she based on a nursery rhyme. During the next three decades, Fitzgerald dominated American jazz and was particularly renowned for her vocal improvisation and scat singing.
Although not projecting the emotional depth of singer Billie Holiday, Fitzgerald's singing had a spirit of innocence that lasted to the end of her career.
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Fadnavis 'Did not Discourage' Johar's 5 Crore 'Donation' to Army Fund
- Congress Hits Out at CM Fadnavis Over 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' Release, Calls Him 'Broker'
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Donald Trump Will Be Next US President, Predicts Election Wizard
- Salman Khan's Bodyguard Shera Faces Assault Charges in Mumbai
- Donald Trump's Daughter-in-Law Celebrates Diwali at Hindu Temple in US
- Donald Trump Says Would Probe Email Investigation of Hillary Clinton