Government may again auction Delhi, Mumbai spectrum in 3rd round
Sources said the DoT would move a proposal to the Empowered Group of Ministers, headed by Finance Minister P Chidambaram, for the third round of auction.
New Delhi: In the proposed third round of spectrum auction, the government may put on block 2G GSM airwaves in Delhi and Mumbai circles and CDMA spectrum in 13 circles that remained unsold in the previous sale held last month, sources said. The government earlier had said that it would conduct the third round of auction putting on block all 2G spectrum freed from cancellation of 122 licences, after the Supreme Court in February this year ordered the DoT to auction entire spectrum freed.
Sources said the DoT would move a proposal to the Empowered Group of Ministers, headed by Finance Minister P Chidambaram, for the third round of auction. DoT has plans as per its earlier announcement to auction 15 Megahertz of airwaves each in Delhi and Mumbai, and 12.5 Mhz of spectrum in Kolkata held by Bharti Airtel, Vodafone and Loop Mobile in respective circles, sources said.
As per DoT's plan for the third round of auction, pan-India 2G spectrum in 1800 Mhz frequency band will be put for auction. The Department of Telecom (DoT) is, however, yet to decide on the quantum of CDMA spectrum that would be auctioned in 13 circles, sources said. The government had put on sale 271.25 Mhz of spectrum in November 2012 against 473.6 Mhz of spectrum, including 60 Mhz of CDMA spectrum, that was freed after the Supreme Court order in February last year. Government in the previous two rounds of spectrum auction was able to sell airwaves for around Rs 13,000 crore.
- BlackBerry To Stop Making Handsets, Will Outsource Production
- Force 2 Poster: John Abraham Returns as a Tough, Intense Cop
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Uran Terror Scare: Navi Mumbai Cops Call Off Search Operation
- Navy Calls off Search Operations in URAN; ATS, Police Continue the Hunt
- Police Release Sketch of Suspects Based on School Children's Description
- Uran Terror Alert: Police Release Sketches of 2 Suspects