Government reconstitutes National Advisory Council
The tenure of NAC had expired yesterday. Govt reconstituted the panel making it a 12-member body.
New Delhi: The government has reconstituted the National Advisory Council(NAC) chaired by Sonia Gandhi by dropping three members and inducting two new faces.
Mihir Shah, Member, Planning Commission, and Ashis Mondal, founder of the Bhopal-based NGO, Action for Social Advancement, have been inducted in the advisory panel for a period of one year.
Noted agriculture scientist MS Swaminathan, bureaucrat-turned-activist Harsh Mander and academician Madhav Gadgil have been denied renomination.
The tenure of the NAC had expired on May 31. The government reconstituted the advisory panel yesterday making it a 12-member body, including Chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
Other members of the panel who have been renominated are NC Saxena, Narendra Jadhav, Pramod Tandon, Aruna Roy, AK Shiva Kumar, Deep Joshi, Anu Aga, Farah Naqvi and Mirai Chatterjee. The tenure of the members of the reconstituted panel is till May 31, 2013.
Jean Dreze, who was appointed member of the NAC in 2009, had quit after the panel had sent its recommendations to the government on the Food Security Bill.
Ram Dayal Munda, a prominent tribal leader and NAC member since 2009, passed away in September last year.
A meeting of the NAC which was scheduled today has been postponed to July 6.
Currently, the NAC is deliberating on issues like watershed development, climate-smart agriculture and improving sex ratio at birth.
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
- Tata Shake-up May Distract Group from Restructuring Efforts
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor
- Tata Sons Disbands Group Executive Council Set up by Cyrus Mistry
- India, New Zealand Sign Three Agreements
- Donald Trump's Daughter-in-Law Celebrates Diwali at Hindu Temple in US
- Donald Trump Says Would Probe Email Investigation of Hillary Clinton
- Clinton Policy on Syria Would Lead to World War Three: Donald Trump