Government strips VK Singh of Z 'Plus' security cover
General VK Singh, who retired on May 31, was given a top security cover and was also allowed to stay in government accommodation.
New Delhi: Government has decided to withdraw all security cover provided to former Army Chief Gen VK Singh, who has been taking part in a number of protests over corruption, Delhi gangrape incident and other issues. The former Army Chief was provided Z 'Plus' security cover till November 30 but in a review meeting, the Ministry of Home Affairs took the decision that he does not require any protection, Army sources said here.
After the decision was conveyed to the Army Headquarters, it is in the process of withdrawing all vehicles including a bullet-proof car and around 30-35 personnel from his security, they said. Seven vehicles and 30-35 personnel were deployed in his security duties round the clock, they said.
Gen VK Singh, who retired on May 31, was given a Z Plus security cover till November 30 and he was allowed to stay in Government accommodation in Delhi Cantonment area for one year after he had sought a nine-month extension from Defence Minister AK Antony. Singh has been named in an FIR by the Delhi Police for his alleged role in protests against the gangrape of a girl in a moving bus on December 16.
Soon after his retirement, he was critical of the government on various issues and shared the stage with yoga guru Ramdev and Anna Hazare on Lokpal and black money issues. On the gangrape issue, he had recently said the system stands "completely exposed and defanged" as not just one daughter, but hundreds of others are equally vulnerable to predators in the face of "growing impotency" to take any action.
In late November, he had also called for the dissolution of Parliament and had called for its gherao in support of the demands raised by sugarcane farmers from Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh. In the last few months of his tenure, he became the first Chief of the Army to have approached the Supreme Court against the government on the personal issue of his date of birth.
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: UP Amass 524, Tamil Nadu 34/1 on Day 2
- Bigg Boss 10: Antara Biswas Wants to Grab Salman Khan's Attention
- Tamil Nadu Government Constitutes Advisory Committee Under Disaster Management
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Delhi Zoo Shuts Down Amid Bird Flu Scare
- UNSC Fails to Adopt Rival Resolutions on Syria
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18