Lok Sabha passes bill for hike in pension for ex-governors
Until now former governors were only entitled to medical facilities as per rules issued by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
New Delhi: A bill seeking an increase in emoluments and pension for ex-governors has been cleared in Lok Sabha. The bill was introduced by Minister of State for Home RPN Singh.
Introducing the Governors (Emoluments, Allowances and Privileges) Amendment Bill, 2012, Singh said former governors do not get any pension or post-retirement benefits except medical facilities as per rules issued by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. "Keeping in view the high constitutional office that a governor holds and considering the contributions in public discourse that they would continue to make after they retire, it is proposed to provide the secretarial assistance to ex-governors in the form of one Personal Assistant, which the ex-governor concerned may appoint on reimbursement basis, during his life time," Singh said.
But the person will not be eligible for such secretarial assistance for the period during which he is re-appointed to the office of governor or elected to Parliament or the state legislature or appointed to any office of profit under the Union or a state government.
The personal assistant will be paid a salary of Rs 28,000. In a lighter vein, Singh said the opposition should not have any objection as husband of Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj, as well as Leader of the House Sushilkumar Shinde, are beneficiaries. Swaraj's husband Swaraj Kaushal and Shinde are ex-governors.
Earlier, initiating the debate on the Bill, Kirti Azad (BJP) pointed out that the post of governor has been misused often with the Centre using them to target state governments. He said recommendations of the Sarkaria Commission, Punchhi Commission and Venkatachalliah Committee should be implemented to prevent this.
(with additional inputs from PTI)
- BSF Says 7 Pakistani Rangers, Terrorist Killed Along Jammu Border, Pak Denies
- For Dialogue, Pakistan Must Stop Infiltration on Border: Mehbooba Mufti
- Pakistan Violates Ceasefire in Kathua District, 1 BSF Jawan Injured
- Search Operations in Baramulla for the Second Time
- Akhilesh Will Be CM, Ready to Give it in Writing on Stamp Paper, Says an Emotional Shivpal
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Akhilesh Targeted By Stepmother, Black Magic Used: SP MLC
- Pan Masala Row: Saddened to Know It Can Cause Cancer, Says Pierce Brosnan
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18