Govt to prepare database of rape convicts
The National Crime Records Bureau will upload details of all rape convicts like their photographs, names and addresses on its website.
New Delhi: In an attempt to name and shame rapists, the government has decided to prepare a data base of all rape convicts across the country and their photographs, names and addresses would be made public. Minister of State for Home RPN Singh said he has directed the National Crime Records Bureau to prepare a directory of all rape convicts and upload their photographs, names and addresses on its website.
"We are planning to start it in Delhi. Photographs, names and addresses of the rapists will be uploaded on Delhi Police website also," he said in New Delhi on Thursday. Singh said that subsequently the plan will cover all states and Union Territories and websites of state police forces will carry photographs, names and addresses of the rape convicts.
The action comes as part of the government's slew of measures aimed at preventing crime against women in the wake of surge of protests after the gangrape of a 23-year-old girl in Delhi on December 16.
Modalities for preparing the data-base are being prepared and the NCRB website will be ready with the photographs, names and addresses of the rapists in a few months. "We are very serious to deal with the problem and taking all possible action as early as possible," Singh said.
Government has already set up a Commission of Inquiry to identify lapses and fix responsibility for the December 16 gang-rape case and also constituted a committee of jurists for reviewing the existing laws to provide speedier justice and enhanced punishment in cases of sexual assault.
- After Google and Salesforce, Disney Now Wants to Buy Twitter
- Google Station, YouTube Go, Google Play for 2G Launched
- Google to Provide Public Wi-Fi Hotspots in Malls, Universities in India
- Happy Birthday! Google is Now an Adult
- Rampant Borussia Dortmund Will Put Stuttering Real Madrid to the Test
- We Did Discuss About Removing Dhoni From Captaincy: Sandeep Patil
- Don't Believe in Biopics On Cricketers: Gautam Gambhir
- Gautam Gambhir Bats for Taking Test Cricket to Smaller Towns