Govt will work to restore growth momentum: PM
The PM said that any obstacles or policy impediments that would come in the way of foreign investment would be addressed.
On board PM's special aircraft: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday said his government will work its way to restore the momentum of growth in the wake of the economic slowdown and sought cooperation from all political parties, whether it is Trinamool or others.
Asserting there is no stagflation, Singh said he was still confident that the growth rate of the economy will improve to about seven per cent per annum. The economic growth has fallen to 5.3 per cent, a nine-year-low.
The Prime Minister also said that any obstacles or policy impediments that would come in the way of foreign investment - both portfolio and direct - would be addressed "effectively and credibly."
Fresh from attending the Summit of Group of 20 developed and developing countries in Mexico, the Prime Minister said India must plan its economy in a manner that it cannot expect outside help on a scale which can see it through its difficulties.
"We have to raise our economy through our own good steps," he told reporters accompanying him on his return from Mexico and Brazil after attending two international summits. The prime minister did not spell out specific details of what the government planned to do to tackle the slowdown but said problems of fiscal management and balance of payment on current account deficit will be tackled "effectively and credibly."
- Kabaddi World Cup 2016: Coach Dedicates Title Win to Uri Martyrs
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K
- Suspected Pakistani Spy Arrested in J&K's Samba District
- Bird Flu: Threat of Infection to Migratory Birds
- Jio MAMI 2016: When Aishwarya Rai Made Newcomer Anushka Sharma Feel at Home
- Jio MAMI 2016: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Will Be Like a Therapy for Unrequited Love, Says Karan Johar
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about Anurag Khashyap's tweet over ADHM
From Our Network
- Samajwadi Party LIVE: Mulayam Singh Yadav expels Ram Gopal for 6 years from party; Shivpal Yadav says he conspired with BJP- FirstPost
- This co-operative society manager with Rs 8,000 salary is a crorepati - Pradesh18
- Boy tied to pole, mercilessly beaten for stealing cigarettes from a shop - Pradesh18