Greed lured literate investors in Erode into emu scam: RBI
The investors had been lured by attractive schemes offered by the emu farms, RBI Chief General Manager V Vasanthan said.
Erode: Most of the duped investors in the multi-crore emu contract farming scam in the district last year were literates and very knowledgeable and had been lured by 'greed', according to a survey by Reserve Bank of India. The investors had been lured by attractive schemes offered by the emu farms, RBI Chief General Manager V Vasanthan said on Sunday.
The survey covering 800 investors in 22 villages from Erode, where a maximum number of investors had been cheated in the emu racket, was held from July 19 to July 22 he told a
meeting of self-help groups and farmers to create awareness about problems in investing in unregistered private firms.
Hundreds of people had been cheated crores of rupees after they made investments in contract farming of the Australian bird on promise of very high returns like any ponzi scheme. The emu scam came to fore in August last year after Susi Emu Farm in Perundurai near here failed to make assured monthly payments, triggering collapse of several such firms, leaving in lurch both the investors and the birds.
The Economic Offences Wing of police have arrested proprietors of several firms and the cases are being heard by a special court. Vasanthan said before investing, people should find out whether the finance firms had been registered and authorised to receive money.
People from Erode, Tirupur and Coimbatore had invested not only in EMU farms but also in country fowl farms and Agar tree development schemes.
He urged the people to invest money only in registered firms as there was no law to control the unregistered firms. The official said the RBI would soon release ten rupee
plastic currency notes.
On fake currency circulation, he said most of the counterfeit notes came into the country through Nepal, Pakistan and Bangladesh, adding serious steps had been taken to curb them.
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution
- MS Dhoni Biopic Not Banned, Says Pakistan's CBFC Chief
- Pakistan Briefs P5 Over Unprovoked Firing by India on LoC
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif