Key accused in Gujarat hooch case arrested
Vinod Dagri held a week after 130 people died after consuming the liquor.
Ahmedabad: The main accused in the Gujarat hooch tragedy, Vinod Dagri, was arrested by the Crime Branch in Ahmedabad on Friday.
Two of his associates, Ajay Thakkar and Sunil were also arrested along with him.
Gujarat police have also held massive raids across the state and booked more than 6,000 people so far for violating prohibition.
Nearly 140 people died of consuming the illicit liquor in Gujarat last week.
Meanwhile, the Gujarat government says it will amend the law, seeking stringent punishment for those indulging in manufacture and sale of illicit liquor.
Under attack for the deaths, Narendra Modi-led government has said will introduce Bombay Prohibition (Gujarat Amendment) Bill 2009 in the state assembly on July 28.
"With a view to prohibiting the misuse of such illicit and spurious liquor and in view of the situation, it is considered necessary to amend the existing provisions of the Bombay Prohibition Act, 1949 and make stringent provisions for offences relating to manufacturing, constructing, selling, buying, keeping, transporting etc of such spurious liquor," said minister of state for Home, Amit Shah.
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Tale of Two Sessions That Cost Hosts the Pune Test
- Priyanka Chopra Slays In This Oscars After Party Ensemble
- Koffee With Karan: Kapil Sharma's Episode Is Going to Be the Funniest One Ever
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- 'Indecision' Review System: India Get 17 Out of 55 Calls Right