Gujarat: Modi calls for mass movement against gutka
He has also appealed to people to use social network as a tool to spread awareness about the gutka menace.
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Friday appealed to the people of the state to launch a mass movement against gutka. "This is the time to rise to the occasion together and create a mass movement to remove gutka from our lives and save our youth from the menace of cancer," he wrote on his blog, reminding people about the new legislation banning gutka in the state from September 11.
"Come 11th September 2012, there will be a comprehensive ban on gutka consumption across the state. It is our determination to create a society where no woman is widowed due to hazards of gutka eating in the family. We want to see a day when no child loses a parent or no mother prematurely loses a son due to gutka consumption," Modi said.
Drawing attention of the people towards the dangers of gutka, he said, "The menace of gutka is much more serious than what you would like to believe it would be. You will be shocked to know that gutka is even more expensive than almonds. But those who consume it never realise this and move towards a path of self-destruction, from which, there is no return."
The chief minister has also appealed to people to use social networking media as a tool to spread awareness about the gutka menace.
"Social media users may like to take up the cause on that platform by posting & spreading messages. This is how together we can take small steps that will make a big difference," he added.
Gutka has been banned in other states including Maharashtra.
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Uran Terror Scare: Navi Mumbai Cops Call Off Search Operation
- Syrian, Russian Air Strikes Kill 25 Civilians in Syria, Says Human Rights Group
- Parched Cast takes our Movie Quiz and It's Funny
- Kohli Has Strong Basics, is a Complete Batsman: Laxman
- NZ Captain Hit By Bug Ahead of India Test
- New Zealand Take Tips From Ganguly Ahead of 2nd Test
- Virat Kohli Plays Down his Personal Form
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Nitish Kumar congratulates PM Modi, Indian Army for surgical strike across LoC - Pradesh18