Gujarat: Rape survivor attempts suicide inside courtroom
The woman tried to commit suicide after proceedings were adjourned as the lawyer of the accused was on sick leave.
Ahmedabad: A rape survivor attempted suicide at the Gujarat High Court in Ahmedabad on Tuesday, alleging "delay in justice". The 26-year-old woman tried to take the extreme step by consuming poison inside the courtroom of Justice Ashish Desai after proceedings were adjourned as the lawyer of the accused was on sick leave.
However, Sola police personnel said that it is still unclear as to why she took the step. The victim is unconscious and the cause behind her extreme step is yet to be ascertained, Sola police sub-inspector KM Damor said.
The incident goes back to 2008 when a youth Sandip Panchal allegedly raped her in the absence of her husband and also filmed the entire episode to blackmail her. According to the police, the survivor lodged a complaint in 2012.
After the city sessions court granted anticipatory bail to the accused, she moved the Gujarat High Court seeking cancellation of his bail, for which the hearing was adjourned on Tuesday. Unhappy with the constant "delay in court proceedings", the survivor consumed poison in the courtroom on Tuesday, after which she was rushed to the Sola Civil Hospital, where she is an unconscious state.
Her father-in-law told police officials that it was unclear as to why she took the extreme step, though he admitted her trauma. This is the second such incident in over a month when a rape survivor attempted suicide by consuming poison inside court premises.
On January 23, a gangrape survivor had attempted suicide by consuming poison in the premises of the metropolitan court here, alleging 'delay' in justice.
- India Jumps 16 Places in Global Competitiveness Index
- 'Daring Voice of India's Pride' at UNGA Wins Applause From AAP
- UNGA: Sushma Says Kashmir Integral Part of India; Asks Pakistan To Stop Dreaming
- Indian Minister Disowned UN Resolutions in Speech: Pakistan
- Sushmita Sen Slams Donald Trump For Body Shaming Ex-Miss Universe Alicia Machado
- US Driver Fined $136 For Using Donald Trump's Cut-Out To Get Through Carpool Lane
- Race to White House is Real, Not Reality TV: Hillary Clinton
- With 84 Million Viewers, Hillary-Trump Debate Smashes Record