Padma Shri winner Mir not an ex-terrorist: Home Ministry
Sources says he was recommended by CIC and Farooq Abdullah.
New Delhi: The Union Home Ministry has denied allegation that Padma Shri awardee Ghulam Mohammed Mir is an ex-terrorist.
Home Ministry sources claim Mir was never a terrorist, but is a nationalist who fought terrorists operating in Jammu and Kashmir.
The sources also said that the Mir was recommended for Padma Shri by Central Information Commissioner Wajahat Habibullah and Union New and Renewable Energy Minister Farooq Abdullah.
The state government though denied any knowledge of Mir being recommended for a Padma award with Chief minister Omar Abdullah saying he had no idea about the recommendation.
"It is possible that a personal level somebody recommend him. I enquired from the senior level officers of state government. No recommendation from the state level had gone for the Padma award. I am not aware about the recommendation," said Omar.
However, questions have been raised about Mir's antecedents. State police sources reveal that Mir has been an informer for security forces.
He used to run a private militia to counter insurgency and has several cases registered against him.
In 2001, an FIR was filed against Mir and a BSF DIG in an attempted murder case. He is also accused of illegally occupying land in his native village and his name has been linked to cases of alleged timber smuggling as well.
Mir's private militia has been accused of extortion and intimidation on several occasions.
- Missing Home This Diwali? 7 Movies to Make You Feel Closer to Your Loved Ones
- Twitter to Launch Diwali Emoji, Will Be Available Starting 28 Oct
- Gold Takes Gains Forward, Up Rs 232 on Global Cues
- Gold Hits Over 3-Month Low On Global Cues, Muted Demand
- PM Modi's Sandesh2Soldiers Drive Draws Over 10 Lakh Messages
- Shivaay Review: Ajay Devgn-starrer Is Seldom Compelling
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Review: Genuinely Moving Drama With Terrific Performances by its Leads
- Diwali Gifts: Top Cars in India That Are Ideal for It