Gurdwara shooting an act of senseless killing: Obama
The US President said that it was a senseless killing and it should not have happened.
Washington: The Wisconsin Gurdwara shooting incident, which left six Sikh worshipers dead, was an act of "senseless killing," US President Barack Obama has said, as he assured full support to the Sikh community in the country. "It was a senseless killing and it should not have happened," Obama told the Washington-based Sikh community leaders Dr Rajwant Singh and his wife Dr Balvinder Singh at a reception hosted by the US President for diplomats and UN ambassadors at Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York on the eve of his speech at the United Nations.
"We thank you deeply for your kindness and your support during the tragedy at the Sikh Gurdwara in Wisconsin. We really appreciate it," Singh, chairman of the Washington based Sikh Council on Religion and Education, told the US President.
"It was needed and more to come and you can be assured of that," Obama said according to the press statement.
"I need that every day," Obama said when Singh said, "We prayed for you and will continue to pray for God's blessings upon you."
He expressed gratitude on behalf of the Sikh community on his decision to lower the US flags at half-staff in honor of those killed in the Sikh massacre.
"Your visit to Wisconsin to see the family of victims was really healing for all of us. It was gratefully appreciated by all Sikhs." Singh said while thanking US first Lady Michelle Obama.
"I was touched by sentiments and spirit of the families especially the youth. They are all so kind." Michelle responded.
Singh further requested to the US first Lady, "We would like President to be seen with the Sikhs to send a positive message all across the nation perhaps he can have a delegation at the White House or he can visit a Sikh center." "We certainly will work on it," she replied.
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Glad Tutak Tutak Tutiya Being Compared With Bhool Bhulaiyaa: Prabhu Deva
- Prabhu Deva is the Sweetest Person in the Industry: Farah Khan
- 'ABCD 2' review: It is over-styled and over-scripted to the last detail
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- Pakistan Needs To Stop Terror From Its Soil: B'desh Envoy
- UN Should Consider Declaring Pakistan a Terror State: Bangladesh Envoy
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resigns as England Manager