Give concrete evidence against Saeed: Pak to US
The US has clarified that the aim of the bounty was not to locate Hafiz Saeed but to convict him in a court of law.
New Delhi: Pressure is mounting on Pakistan to act against Lashkar-e-Toiba founder and Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed. This came after the US announced a $10 million reward on him. Islamabad instead of acting on the decision, is now demanding concrete evidence from Washington DC against the 26/11 mastermind and also against Saeed's brother-in-law and Jamaat-ud-Dawa leader Abdul Rehman Makki.
Both the leaders are said to be moving freely in Pakistan even now.
The US, meanwhile, has clarified that the aim of the bounty was not to locate Saeed but to convict him in a court of law.
US State Department Spokesperson Mark Toner said, "We all know where he is, every journalist in Pakistan and in the region knows how to find him, but we're looking for information that can be usable to convict him in a court of law. His conviction could be in any US or foreign court of law.'
Earlier on Wednesday, Saeed even mocked the United States during a defiant media conference.
"I am here, I am visible. America should give that reward money to me," said Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, referring to the fact that the bounty was given to a man whose whereabouts are not a mystery. "I will be in Lahore tomorrow. America can contact me whenever it wants to."
Saeed, 61, has been accused of orchestrating the 2008 attacks in Mumbai that killed 166 people, including six American citizens. But he operates openly in Pakistan, giving public speeches and appearing on TV talk shows.
(With additional information from AP)