Harrington wins British Open golf despite wrist injury
The defending champion battled the weather and some tough opposition.
New Delhi: With no Tiger Woods around, golf needed great drama and great stroke making and the British Open - played in the toughest weather conditions - provided some excellent moments for spectators.
And if Woods had won the US Open on one leg, then Padraign Harrington pocketed this tournament with just one arm. For the 36-year old, this win was more special that his first win.
When the day began the great white shark, Greg Norman, was looking to create history and was keen on becoming the oldest man to win a Major. But even though his new wife, multiple grand slam winner Chris Evert, cheered him on, Norman faltered.
However, he only had praise for the ultimate champion.
"Padraig played brilliantly today. Even though he tried to let it get away in the middle of the round, he came back and performed beautifully and finished like a true Open champion," Norman said.
And Harrington - though he scripted a beautiful story on the green - was apologetic for denying Norman a slice of history
"It would have been nice for it to be his story and I did say that to him at the end of the day. I wanted to win though and you have got to take your chances, you can't be sentimental in that sense," Harrington said.
This win means Harrington jumps to a career best ranking of Number 3 in the world.
- Shivaay Review: Ajay Devgn-starrer Is Seldom Compelling
- Shivaay Movie Review: Ajay Devgn Is In Every Frame and We Wish He Wasn't
- 9.33 pc MMMTC stake sale today, 9.33 per cent shares to be sold off
- EGoM to meet today to decide 9.33 pc MMTC stake sale
- PM Modi's Sandesh2Soldiers Drive Draws Over 10 Lakh Messages
- Diwali Gifts: Top Cars in India That Are Ideal for It
- PM Modi Likely to Spend Diwali on Indo-Tibetan Border with ITBP Jawans
- Govardhan Puja: An Important Part of the Celebrations of Diwali