Hasan Ali's wife obstructing probe, ED tells HC
ED said the enquiry initiated against Rheema revealed that she too had acquired properties worth Rs 16 crore.
Mumbai: Alleging that Hasan Ali Khan's wife was 'obstructing' the probe and trying to 'intimidate' investigators, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Tuesday urged the Bombay High Court to reject her petition seeking quashing of proceedings under the anti-money laundering law.
The ED also said the preliminary enquiry initiated against Rheema Khan, the wife of jailed Pune stud farm owner accused in money laundering cases, has revealed that she too had acquired properties worth Rs 16 crore through dubious cash transactions.
"The petitioner (Rheema) has been causing obstructions in investigations and is attempting to intimidate ED officers who are probing the case," the ED said in an affidavit filed on Tuesday before a division bench of justices AM Khanwilkar and PD Kode.
The court was hearing a petition filed by Rheema seeking to quash the proceedings initiated against her by a special court under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
The proceedings were initiated after the ED approached the court with a complaint following Rheema's failure to appear before the agency to record her statement.
"As of now, the agency is only conducting a preliminary inquiry which has revealed that Hasan Ali Khan and the petitioner (Rheema) have acquired properties valued at Rs 16.32 crore through dubious cash transactions and without known source of income," the ED said.
Claiming that Rheema's petition to quash the proceedings initiated against her is premature, ED said only after completion of the preliminary enquiry the agency would decide on whether a case should be registered or not.
The court has adjourned the matter till September 14.
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Watch: Talking point With Arunoday Mukharji
- Kapil Sibal Exclusive: Will Cong Family Loyalists Become Deserters?