DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
HC quashes complaint against Harbhajan in reality show
Both complainants fined Rs 10,000 each for filing a "frivolous" complaint.
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Tuesday quashed a criminal complaint filed against cricketer Harbhajan Singh and TV actress Mona Singh for allegedly hurting the religious sentiments of people during reality show Ek Haseena Ek Khiladi.
Justice Mahesh Grover also slapped a fine of Rs 10,000 each on two complainants for filing a "frivolous" complaint in a district court in this regard. The High Court had on May 27 stayed the proceedings in the district court after being approached.
The case relates to Ravana-Sita dance in the reality show telecast by 'Colors' channel in October 2008.
Advocate Arvind Thakur along with one Vijay Bhardwaj had filed the complaint against Harbhajan Singh who had partnered with actress Mona Singh in the show. The actress and the TV channel also were respondents in the complaint.
The petition filed under section 298 IPC (hurting religious sentiments) and 120-B (conspiracy) contended that Harbhajan and Mona had hurt religious sentiments by their Ravana-Sita dance.
As a controversy surfaced, the cricketer had tendered an apology for playing Ravana in the show and vowed not to repeat such actions that may hurt religious sentiments of any community.
Recommended For You
- Would Have Approached the 2003 World Cup Differently if T20s Existed Then: Tendulkar
- Moto C, Moto C Plus Unveiled: Price, Specifications and More
- IPL 2017: Mumbai Indians Thank 'Nani' For Thrilling Victory
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Manchester Arena Terror Attack: All You Wanted to Know About Ariana Grande