Hewitt beats del Potro to reach Queen's SF
Lleyton Hewitt reached his first semi-finals in 11 months by upsetting third-seeded Juan Martin del Potro 6-2, 2-6, 6-2.
London: Lleyton Hewitt reached his first semi-finals in 11 months by upsetting third-seeded Juan Martin del Potro 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 at Queen's Club on Friday.
The former four-time champion took a 4-2 lead with a backhand winner after del Potro struck consecutive double-faults, and hit a backhand volley to break again for the set.
Del Potro sped to a 4-0 lead in the second set. In the decider, Hewitt broke del Potro at love to earn a 3-1 lead and broke again at 5-2 with a volley winner.
Hewitt will next play No. 5 seed and defending champion Marin Cilic, who upset No. 2 Tomas Berdych 7-5, 7-6 (4). Cilic was under pressure in both sets. He faced a break point at 4-4 but Berdych netted his return, and Cilic failed to convert two set points at 5-4 before Berdych made a forehand error on a third break point at 6-5.
In the second set, Berdych held one break point at 2-2 and another at 4-4, but Cilic once again held off the threat before claiming victory in the tiebreaker.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Kumble Defends Kohli & Co, Says It Was Just One Bad Day For India
- BKD: Varun- Alia Bring Back Desi Vibes in Aashiq Surrender Hua
- Rangoon Review: Kangana Shines in This War-Time Romance
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology