Himachal Pradesh: Twelve dead in road accident
The accident happened in Himachal's Chamba district when a vehicle skidded off the road and fell into a 700-metre-deep gorge.
Shimla: Twelve people, some of them children, were killed in Himachal Pradesh's Chamba district when their vehicle skidded off the road and fell into a 700-metre-deep gorge while they were on their way back from playing a cricket match, police said on Monday. The accident took place on Sunday night.
The victims were all between 11 and 25 years old. They died on the spot and their bodies were recovered from the wreckage early on Monday, Superintendent of Police BM Sharma said.
The group, from Kuthar and other villages in Badgran panchayat in Bharmour subdivision, were returning in a multi-utility vehicle after playing a cricket match. Sharma said the accident occurred on Sunday night near the Kuthar rivulet, 80 km from district headquarters Chamba. The cause of the accident is still to be ascertained.
Eyewitnesses said the authorities had a tough time extricating the victims from the gorge. Chamba is one of remotest places in the state and scarcity and low frequency of passenger buses in the district leads to overcrowding of vehicles.
Recommended For You
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Nach Baliye 8: Judges to Contestants; Everything That You Need to Know About The Show
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology