Hina Rabbani Khar unlikely to contest Pak elections
At the age of 34, Hina Rabbani Khar became Pakistan's youngest and first woman Foreign Minister in 2011.
Islamabad: Pakistan's former foreign minister Hina Rabbani Khar is unlikely to contest polls to parliament in May as her father is a candidate for the National Assembly constituency that she represented earlier, according to a media report on Sunday.
The nomination papers of Khar's father, Ghulam Rabbani Khar, for parliamentary constituency number 177 in Punjab province have been approved by poll authorities.
Khar was quoted by The Express Tribune as saying that she had only "applied as a covering candidate to my father". As her father's papers had been cleared, Khar told the daily that "would be that for her political career for now". Khar has also not applied for a parliamentary seat reserved for women on a Pakistan People's Party ticket. "That continues to be the position," she said.
Khar's father is not a graduate and rules that were in place at the time of the 2008 general election barred him from contesting polls. Under new rules, it is no longer mandatory for candidates to be graduates and he decided to contest the polls scheduled for May 11.
There has been speculation in political circles in Islamabad since 2012 that Khar would not contest the upcoming polls and would make way for her father to make a fresh bid to enter the National Assembly or lower house of parliament.
At the age of 34, Khar became Pakistan's youngest and first woman Foreign Minister in 2011.
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: UP Amass 524, Tamil Nadu 34/1 on Day 2
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- Meet the Man Who is Giving Music to Akhilesh's Campaign as Samajwadi Party Gets Lost in Surround Sound
- Akhilesh Will Be CM, Ready to Give it in Writing on Stamp Paper, Says an Emotional Shivpal
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18