Hizbul commander arrested in Jammu and Kashmir
<p><strong>Srinagar:</strong> A top commander of Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist outfit has been arrested by security forces from Bandipora district of Kashmir Valley, police said on Monday.</p>
Srinagar: A top commander of Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist outfit has been arrested by security forces from Bandipora district of Kashmir Valley, police said on Monday.
Junaid, who used aliases Manzoor and Arshad and was working with the outfit for the past 14 years, was arrested in Turkpora area of north Kashmir's Bandipora district last Wednesday, a police spokesman said.
On specific information about presence of a terrorist in a house in the area, Army and police had conducted a joint operation and cordoned off a house, where Junaid was hiding.
He tried to break the cordon and escape, but he was overpowered and arrested, the spokesman said.
He said the forces recovered one AK-56 rifle with two magazines and 60 rounds from his possession.
Junaid, the police said, was also working as a guide and helped militant groups to cross the Line of Control in the Valley.
He had managed to escape last month from the neighbouring Ganderbal district when Army and police killed five terrorists in a nocturnal raid.
His arrest was kept under wraps due to ongoing anti-militancy operations based on the information provided by him to the police during questioning.
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: South Korea Strengthen Semifinal Claim With 5-3 Win Over China
- I'm a Gujarati at Heart, Says President Pranab Mukherjee
- Hockey: India's Top Five Victories Over Pakistan
- The Camps: Split Wide Open in UP's First Family, Who Stands Where
- Despite Mulayam's Peace Efforts, Rift Widens Between Akhilesh, Shivpal
- Neelabh's Toon: Akhilesh, Shivpal Spar Creates Rift in Samajwadi Party
- Feud Won't Affect Muslim Votes, Says SP's Azam Khan, Analysts Not So Sure
- Triple Talaq a Religious Issue, PM Has No Right to Intervene: AIMPLB's Jilani