Hockey blues: Indian women fail in Olympic qualifier
US beats team 0-4 in a qualifying tournament in Russia.
New Delhi: Stung by a bribery scandal, Indian hockey's bad days are far from over as after the men, the women's team also failed to qualify for the Beijing Olympics. They were thrashed 0-4 by the US in a qualifying tournament in Russia on Thursday.
It was the third successive defeat in the tournament for the team after going down 1-2 to the Netherlands Antilles and 2-3 to Belgium despite starting with a 3-1 win over hosts Russia, according to the information received here.
The loss at Kazan left with them with just three points from four matches and with just one match left against France on Saturday, India's dream to qualify for the Beijing Games is over.
Tiffany Snow (29th), Kelly Doton (38th), Angela Loy (45th) and Carrie Lingo (48th) were on target for the US, who led led 1-0 at half-time.
The US, with a perfect record of four wins from four outings are almost sure for a place in the summit clash.
Belgium and the Netherlands Antilles are likely to fight for the other spot in the title-decider.
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Bigg Boss 10: Antara Biswas Wants to Grab Salman Khan's Attention
- Donald Trump's Campaign Says Raised $9 mn Through Live Facebook Event
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- Pan Masala Row: Saddened to Know It Can Cause Cancer, Says Pierce Brosnan