Homage paid to Indira Gandhi on her death anniversary
President Prabab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh along with other ministers paid homage to the departed leader.
New Delhi: The nation remembered former prime minister Indira Gandhi on her 28th death anniversary on Wednesday with President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh paying homage to the departed leader. Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Singh paid floral tributes at Shakti Sthal, the memorial of Gandhi, in New Delhi on Wednesday morning.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and Delhi Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna were also present on the occasion. Union Ministers Sushilkumar Shinde, Salman Khurshid, M Veerappa Moily, Kamal Nath, PK Bansal and Narayana Swamy and new inductees Deepa Dasmunsi and Chiranjeevi were also present.
Devotional songs were played at the venue. A speech by Indira Gandhi was also played on the occasion. The former prime minister was assassinated by her
bodyguards on October 31, 1984, the same year when she had launched 'Operation Blue Star' to crush secessionist movement in Punjab.
Recommended For You
- Mercedes-Benz E-Class Extended Wheelbase Launched at Rs 56.15 Lakh
- Gionee M2017 First Look: Check Out the Rs 1.66 Lakh Gionee Phone
- Virat Kohli and Boys Go Trekking To Unwind After Pune Debacle
- Brie Larson Refused to Applaud for Casey Affleck As She Gave The Oscar
- Big Boy Rahkeem Cornwall Welcomes England to Caribbean Islands