Father slays daughter for eloping with lover
The 17-year-old girl had eloped with a boy six months ago.
New Delhi: There has been another case of honour killing in Punjab. A 17-year-old girl in Mandi Ahmedgarh was shot dead allegedly by her own father.
Her crime - she had eloped with a boy about six months ago.
Police took the father, Nirmal Singh, in custody after his wife complained that he had shot their daughter dead.
"Her father was very angry. He had a licensed rifle. The girl was alone at home when he shot her," says the mother of the girl.
His licensed weapon has been confiscated by the police who are also investigating whether someone else was involved in the crime.
Honour killing instances are not very uncommon in India. In January this year, newly-married couple Balkar Singh and Ravindar Pal Kaur were shot dead at their village in Taran Taran in Punjab, allegedly by members of the girls family.
Balkar was gunned down in the market and Ravindar was killed inside their house.
The two got married on January 1 and on the same day Ravindar filed a writ in the Punjab and Haryana High Court saying she feared there was a threat to their lives from her family.
The two were killed the day the police received the order from the court to give them protection.
Police say all the accused - Ravindar's parents, her brother and her cousins are now absconding.
- Force 2 Poster: John Abraham Returns as a Tough, Intense Cop
- Gareth Bale Wants More European Glory after Champions League Win
- Real Madrid Beat Atletico on Penalties to Win Champions League
- Injured Benzema may miss Real Madrid's Champions League tie with PSG
- Want Pakistan to Combat, Delegitimise Terror Entities: US
- CISF DG Briefs Rajnath Singh Over Security of Airports, Ports
- Watch: Inside Story Of Surgical Strikes Across LoC
- After Cross-LoC Strikes, Indian High Commissioner Summoned By Pakistan