Hooch claims 7 lives in West Bengal
About 20 villagers drank liquor on Sunday night and fell sick, following which they were brought to a hospital.
Hooghly: Seven persons have died after drinking illicit liquor at Payradanga village in this district, police said on Tuesday. About 20 villagers drank liquor on Sunday night and fell sick, following which they were brought to Panduah rural hospital.
After their condition deteriorated, they were shifted to the Imambara Sadar Hospital at Chinsurah. While one person died on way to Chinsurah, two others died during treatment there, officials said. As some of the other villagers' condition worsened, they were referred to the Kolkata Medical College Hospital where four died this morning, they said.
Seven villagers are still admitted at the Imambara Sadar Hospital. Police on Tuesday arrested three persons - a man, his son and a relative of them - of Payradanga village from whom the liquor had been bought. The victims were aged between 25 and 40, sources said. Last December, 143 people had died after consuming illicit liquor in South 24 Parganas district of the state.
- Cauvery Row: Opposition Asks Government Not to Release Water to Tamil Nadu
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Chairs All-Party Meet, Gowda Sits on Dharna
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Calls All-Party Meet to Decide on SC's Order to Release Water
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Indian Army Chief Arriving in J&K to Review Security Situation
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Adnan Sami Responds After Being Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes