Hooch claims 7 lives in West Bengal
About 20 villagers drank liquor on Sunday night and fell sick, following which they were brought to a hospital.
Hooghly: Seven persons have died after drinking illicit liquor at Payradanga village in this district, police said on Tuesday. About 20 villagers drank liquor on Sunday night and fell sick, following which they were brought to Panduah rural hospital.
After their condition deteriorated, they were shifted to the Imambara Sadar Hospital at Chinsurah. While one person died on way to Chinsurah, two others died during treatment there, officials said. As some of the other villagers' condition worsened, they were referred to the Kolkata Medical College Hospital where four died this morning, they said.
Seven villagers are still admitted at the Imambara Sadar Hospital. Police on Tuesday arrested three persons - a man, his son and a relative of them - of Payradanga village from whom the liquor had been bought. The victims were aged between 25 and 40, sources said. Last December, 143 people had died after consuming illicit liquor in South 24 Parganas district of the state.
Recommended For You
- I Had Warned BCCI Against Preparing a Dry Pitch: Pune Curator
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Nokia 3310 Is Back And The Internet Can't Handle It
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- 'Indecision' Review System: India Get 17 Out of 55 Calls Right